For the past couple of weeks, we’ve been telling you about some adorable flip flop soaps, mostly because, well, they’re pretty fun to make. Because it’s summer, beach season, flip flop season, and I’m a soapmaker who LIVES in flip flops until it’s simply unbearably cold to do so, we wanted to make some soaps with a special goal in mind. You see, our closest city neighbor, about half an hour down the road, sees a LOT of human trafficking, and this problem is on the rise.
Did you know…
- North Carolina is one of the TOP 10 states in the country for human trafficking prevalence?
- Wilmington, NC is one of the top cities in the state for trafficking, due in part to its ports, interstates, and highways?
- There are more slaves in the United States today than there were at the height of the transatlantic slave trade predating the Civil War?
- Slaves can be boys and girls as young as 8 or 9 years old?
- Not all slaves are foreigners? Many are American citizens who are kidnapped or recruited, and there’s no discrimination by race, gender, sexual orientation or nationality.
- Modern day slaves can work in the commercial sex industry, but can also be field, house, or factory slaves?
Law enforcement officials are working hard and breaking up these human trafficking rings, but the survivors need help afterwards. Centre of Redemption is one such organization helping survivors here in the Cape Fear area, providing temporary housing and other basic needs for those who want them. This is good, important work, and I want to give them a little boost. From now til the end of June, proceeds from the sale of flip flop soaps will go to benefit this worthwhile organization.
Be sure to pick up a pair of these today! They make the cutest addition to a guest bath, beach house or powder room.